Common reasons people visit during pregnancy:
- Lower back pain
- Hip Pain
- Pubic symphysis dysfunction
- Pelvic and uterine ligament tension
- Tight muscles
- Optimal positioning
Not to mention all of the added stressors on the spine and nervous system during pregnancy and in particular postpartum. Chiropractic care is a vital support for pregnant and postpartum women, to ensure the spine and pelvis are balanced to accommodate the changes that take place in the body throughout and beyond pregnancy.
At OLIVE Chiropractic, we modify our techniques to support your body through the various stages of your pregnancy and postpartum. Our pregnancy pillows and tables are designed specifically for pregnant women, babies and young children.
Movement during pregnancy is vital for your baby’s development!
Research tells us:
- Movement stimulates the development of the brain and nervous system. During the third trimester, there are more brain cells developing and neural connections during this time than any other time in our life.(1) Baby needs to be able to move freely.
- Movement allows important neurological reflexes to also occur in the brainstem. This part of the brain co-ordinates primitive reflexes to be established(2) the regulation of the heart and breathing, good digestive control and sleep-wake cycles to be established.
- Movement helps proper development of the ear and inner ear — which is vitally important for hearing and for balance.(3)
- Restriction of the legs can cause long-term alterations in the development of motor functions for example leg posture, reflexes and posture while walking. This is most likely because the feedback loops between the brain and lower limbs are altered.(4)
(1) Dispenza J. Evolve Your Brain: The Science of Changing Your Mind. HCI 2008, (2) Davies NJ. Chiropractic Pediatrics 2nd Edition. p75-111 (3) Lecanuet JP, Schaal B. Fetal Sensory Competencies. Europ Journal of Obst & Gyn & Reprod. Biology 1996; 68:1-23 (4) Sival DA, Precht HF, Sonder GH, Touwen BC